Thursday, December 9, 2010

Relying on the Vine

I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

I've never known what this verse means, and still wonder. If anyone has any wisdom, I'd love to hear it! Trailing through formerly reliable websites for sermons also have not yielded any fruit, 'scuse the pun. 

However, this verse has cropped up (there's another one) many times in the last week or 2, and this morning it is the verse for the day, and so I think God is bringing this verse to the fore for a reason. 

Today's reflection on this verse majors on the latter part... apart from Me you can do nothing. I know this so vividly, especially today when my mood is sour, my outlook is as grey as the drizzly sky, and in the pit of my being I wish I was in bed watching Brothers and Sisters. I know that today (as any day), I need Christ to work in and through me, for my offering today is very small. I can bring very little, I have little love to show, and my enthusiasm is barely a mustard seed. Good job the omnipotent Friend is on the case, and I pray He will take over my body, mind and spirit to make today valuable and meaningful. Not least because today is the final day of holiday club with 40-50 local girls whose lives are unimaginable to me. It is party day, of fun, gifts and special times. Dourness is not befitting.

Frankly, I find this verse encouraging today - if I am a branch living through the food, water and strength of the vine, that's fine with me! And today God's grace is teaching me very powerful that these words are true. On a good day, I am prone to forgetfulness, today it is clear I must depend on God. I can do, offer, give nothing of worth, but God will make good, and His Spirit will lift mine to fulfil the good works He has prepared for me to do today. 

And so... over to you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment