Friday, August 18, 2017

My life in a song

I wrote this song some years ago while living in Uganda and struggling with knowing my purpose. This verse speaks of forsaking God and trying to replace Him and His purposes with our own - broken cisterns that cannot hold water.  

Jeremiah 2:13 'My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water'

Enjoy!


When my heart runs after others, when my soul knows no peace,
When my tears run dry and wine of life's flow is all but ceased - 
Then I'll seek my Lover, my heart will find its home,
My mind will know the peace of God where dreams begin to grow.
Carrying heavy buckets, straining arm and limb
When all the time I should have bathed my feet within Him:
The source of holy water, the stream of love and life,
The final place to find God's grace and who I am in Christ.

When the clouds of boredom bear down with purpose unrealised,
When 'whys' and 'where's' and 'who's' and 'there's' flood over gentle sighs -
Simply turn the corner, walk the other way
Into the arms of Father who saw me from far away
Carrying heavy burdens, straining heart and soul
When all the time I could have found in Him my home.
A father to the friendless, a shelter for the least,
The One who'll run to say 'well done, come join Me in My feast'. 


This song still sings my soul, it continues to most eloquently express my heart to God and clarify my feelings when I am muddled and blurry. It cuts through and refocuses me in a unique way, and I am grateful to God for giving us words and music to speak truth which divides bone from marrow. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WmiPUUQsDI 

No comments:

Post a Comment