Monday, November 29, 2010

I love you... Amari

Friday night was extraordinary. I took a young friend called Joseph (one of the street kids I know through Frontline) to a concert called Amari in a REALLY nice theatre, where Calvary Chapel's choir were singing alongside some other Christian Ugandan music and dance acts. It was great, and we boogied with the best of them. AND the loos were the best I've seen so far here. 

Joseph thanked me for the ticket and said: ‘I will never forget this evening’. Ouch, my heart. 

On the way to the taxi, we passed some lone street-sleepers, including a small child well positioned in front of 2 armed guards outside a bank ATM (clever child), and a baby no more than 1 begging. At 10.30pm. Shame on the parent, if there is one, I suppose it could be a slightly older brother or sister heading the family.

And then again, a sight now branded on my memory. A line of 20 women getting ready for bed, sleeping side by side along the street, on cardboard. These are the women who beg each day. They do not go home after sitting on the street, they cross the pavement and huddle up for safety and company. The incredible thing was not only the number of women, but the amazing community they shared as they smiled and huddled.  I recognised some of the beggars there, or their wheelchairs at least. Oh God.

What happens when it rains?


No comments:

Post a Comment