Thursday, October 28, 2010

So this is... Thursday

Thursday 28th October, nearly Halloween, but Africa doesn't spend too much time on it. Nearly Thanksgiving for American-readers. And only 8 weeks until Christmas! Yep, that's right folks, time to start making lists, buying things from John Lewis, and thinking about whether to buy a real or fake tree. 

Christmas in Uganda will be different this year. Much less fluff and over-indulgence, a day for family, which means Kampala will empty out as inhabitants return to their villages to eat goat and splash out on a Fanta. For me, I am dreaming of a hot and sunny Christmas with my neighbour Lizzie, watching a boxset, eating trad Christmas dinner and celebrating with family over the internet. There maybe a mulled wine thrown in there too... My first Christmas away from the family - gulp - it's gonna be tough, but I am ever thankful to Mr Skype who has made my life better. 

I am suffering with a few unpleasant symptoms, and was alarmed to read about malaria and check off 5 of the 7 symptoms. I think I terrified my mother a bit, but I'm not gonna stop her hopping on a plane and coming to feed me chicken soup, or whatever the Ugandan equivalent is.

Oh, and the possible initiator of this new and un-exciting illness, I've joined an American fitness club complete with outdoor pool and gym etc, to whip this butt into shape. Problem here is water - you swallow ANY and you will know about it. I'm a fairly flouncy swimmer, and a good pint is swallowed with each encounter... maybe a snorkel would help.

No deep thoughts this week, instead my mind has been on vacation with Agatha Christie, rather than delving into the depths of big, fat books. And it's great - there's a time for everything, even a juicy murder mystery cloaked in the gentleness of Miss Marple.

Ok, just one semi-thought then I'll be off. The dual concepts of affection and passion. The kindness, loving sideward glances, hugs - of affection mixed with the fiery, determined commitment of passion. I love it. And this is how God loves us. And just for the record, lads, this is how a woman wants to be loved.

Au revoir for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment